An email address can say a lot more than just the messages you send from it. Recently, I found an accountant online and scheduled a consultation to get help with my taxes. The accountant replied to my request through email, and that’s when I noticed she was using a personal Hotmail address. Seeing this made me think twice. Was she really as established and professional as I thought she was? With all of the work you do to establish your company and attract new customers, don’t let a little thing like an email address distract your potential customers.
5 Advantages to Using a Personalized Business Email Address
Unpaid email accounts are easy to get and use, so you might be reluctant to switch to a paid account. But when you look at the advantages of using your domain name for your email address — such as increased credibility, branding opportunities and how affordable they are — you’ll see you can’t afford not to use one.
- Look professional: Like it or not, prejudices exist around email addresses. Although, an AOL address might functionally be working well for you, it can make you look “behind the times,” and appear less established and less serious about your business.
- Brand your business: Build your business identity. Put your company name in front of customers, prospects, suppliers, vendors and partners with every email you send. When your email address is your company name, you’re marketing your business with every email you send.
- Protection from dangerous spam: Paid email accounts typically includes anti-virus and spam filters to keep your inbox clean and secure from dangerous spam. They also have address books, folders to stay organized, and email encryption with password protection so information you send and receive stays private.
- Manage all email accounts in one place: When you get a personalized email address, you don’t need to check multiple email accounts or worry about missing messages from your free email. Most email, like Hotmail and Gmail, let you forward all messages to any email address you choose.
- Easy to find your business online: Customers and prospects you’ve corresponded with from time to time don’t always remember how to find you online. But if they have your business email in their online address book, they can see your domain name in your email address and know exactly how find your website.
How do you get a personalized business email address?
If your business has a website, then you’ll want your email address to match the domain name. If you don’t have a website yet, then you’ll need to start by getting a domain name.
Domain registrars like IT WebSmith offer inexpensive email plans that use your domain name. Also, many will give you a free email address when you buy a domain name or host your website, so check out their add-ons.